The 2012 Olympic Games was the catalyst for Rotary in Sherborne to set up a legacy project which would provide £500 each to two young athletes attending the Gryphon school in Sherborne. The intention was that this would continue for 4 years until the next Olympic Games.
This years beneficiaries of this Olympic Bursary, the 7th to be awarded, visited our club this week each delighting us with a presentation of their skills, experience and ambitions in their chosen sport.
She is just 12 years old and trains three times a week. These are her achievements so far:
- Started competing at age 6
- Competed in 2017/2018 British Championship
- Team Gymnastics – 3 elements – Tumbling, Trampette & Vault and Floor
- Goal: within 5 years to qualify for Junior GB Team
- Bursary will help with training and travel costs and competition kit
- 16 yrs old
- Started competing at age 14
- 9th in under 15’s World Championships
- Current RS:X National Youth Champion
- Aim – Olympics in next 5 years
Our grateful thanks go to Alan Cummings, Head of PE at the Gryphon school for his support with this project for the past 7 years.